Sunday, May 27, 2012

Captain Marvel Returns!

***CAUTION: SPOILERS AHEAD***

I haven't been terribly impressed with the Marvel crossover "events" the last few years. But, now that I've admitted I have a problem I can move on to the next step.

Anyway, never being able to let a good character fade gracefully into the sunset, Marvel once again pulls the dessicated corpse of Captain Marvel (or Mar-Vell, if you prefer) into the sunlight for another flogging.
Wait, did he say, "Kill the Avengers"?

The crossover "event" this season is the Avengers Vs. X-Men storyline. Frankly, I'm sick of the X-Men: more like X-Meh, if you ask me. But the Avengers are hot (to the tune of nearly $1 Billion in box-office receipts) so why not inject some life into lifeless, two-dimensional characters no one has heard of or cares about, all in the name of lining their pockets with the blood-money of hard-working geeks like myself? But I digress.

I have to say I have been impressed, however, with the first couple of re-appearances of a genetically reconstructed, Phoenix-force mind-controlled version of Captain Mar-Vell (or Marvel, if you prefer). The art by Renato Guedes is stunning and I'm not entirely sure where Rick Remender is going with this but I am interested to find out. Probably leading into this summer's release of a new Captain Marvel series. But that's a blog post for another day.



Meanwhile, check out the dust-up between Captain Marvel and a few Avengers from Secret Avengers #27 (Did I fail to mention Ms. Marvel and Noh-Varr/Protector are also being mind-controlled by the Phoenix-force?):