Monday, March 21, 2011

Steranko!

It just occurred to me: how could I run this blog and not feature anything by comics legend Jim Steranko!?!
Probably most widely known for his groundbreaking, hypnotic and psychedelic work on Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., Steranko has led a life and had a career almost too amazing to be true. Writer, artist, illustrator, historian, magician, musician...Steranko has done more in his life than most people could do in two. His work has (and still does have) more influence over comic art, layout and graphic design in the last 40 years than any four artists combined. The only other comic creator with a stronger foothold in the history of comics is Jack Kirby, whom Steranko apprenticed with at Marvel Comics in the 1960's.

Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #7 (Dec. 1968...Image via Wikipedia
Anyway, enough history (for now). I present a few pieces of Steranko work. Please, allow me to indulge!
(Almost forgot! Visit this tremendous website, the Drawings of Steranko for even more fabulous eye-candy!)