Monday, February 21, 2011

Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

2001 trade-paperback collection, with repurpos...Image via Wikipedia

Growing up a child of the '70's and '80's, my version of Nick Fury wasn't Samuel L. Jackson. All apologies to Mr. Jackson (who is an incredibly talented actor and I consider myself a fan of his work), the Nick Fury I grew up with was a somewhat middle-aged white guy re-invented by Jack Kirby and Jim Steranko (who really ran with the character). The character itself is a pastiche of the 1960's spy/adventure set, which makes sense since it's when he debuted.

A rare quiet moment for Nick Fury: Strange Tal...Image via Wikipedia
Anyway, even though it isn't cool to be a middle-aged, caucasian super-spy any more (sorry Mr. Bond), I still love the character.

Strange Tales #135 (Aug. 1965), the debut of S...Image via Wikipedia
I find it incredibly interesting that writers are able to make the two versions co-exist in the Marvel comics universes, but not in popular culture. Case in point: check out the latest Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon. The character is an amalgam of both versions of the character.
*sigh*
Maybe someday I'll see my favorite version of Nick Fury done justice. I still shudder at the horribly bad Hasselhoff debacle that was on Fox tv.
And so, this is my small tribute to the character, via a little gallery of images I cobbled from Deviantart.com.
Enjoy!